Renewing Car Particulars (in Jos)
Notes on the process made by David Rowbory August 2014, (VW Golf 3).
Updated 2015 with input from Andy & James, esp on payment and process order.
- Cost: ₦8835 Time: 2 hours, much to-ing and fro-ing between desks.
- 1 hour if you know where you are going and have an ATM card.
- Where: Plateau Board of Internal Revenue, Ahmadu Bello Way, Jos (or Bukuru).
- What’s required: Current particulars (maybe TIN), A mobile phone,
- Recommended: Verve or MasterCard ATM card for Point of Sale payments. This makes it much faster.
- What you leave with:
- Vehicle Licence sticker
- Roadworthiness receipt
- Roadworthiness certificate
- Certificate of Insurance (Third Party Only)
- Revenue Receipts: Motor Vehicle License, RoadWorthyness cert, SMS alert, Insurance Premium
- Take Old Particulars to left-most window on front of the building and say you want to renew them.
- You should receive 2 printed papers (invoices) detailing the costs for Vehicle License, Road-worthiness, Insurance.
- Take these invoices to the POS window (rightmost) and pay the amount specified ideally via MasterCard.
- You’ll give your phone number and will collect a confirmation by SMS.
- For me it was slower because I paid cash to someone who then deposited it in a bank and someone else used their card. Having a MasterCard (not Visa, as Aug2014) would have saved about 30-45 mins.
- You will collect a payment receipt.
- Take the invoices + payment receipt to the receipt office (inside centre door, past VIO, then left just before the big desk, then along to the end on the left)
- Give the invoices/receipts and you’ll get official receipts printed for you.
- Get insurance before going to VIO:
- Take all papers to the large hall (past the big desk) where you buy 3rd-party insurance.
- Give the bundle of receipts to someone who will ask again for a phone number and enter details.
- Take the insurance paper and go again to pay (₦500) at the POS (rightmost window, on outside of building)
- Take POS receipt to the 2nd Left window
- They’ll ask for a phone number and you’ll get an SMS confirmation that all is done.
- Go to VIO
(Jos: through front door on the left, or at the window to left of the central door)
- Collect the roadworthiness receipt/certificate, doing whatever they ask you to do!
- Shi ke nan! That’s all.